3rd Course for Governmental Training Institutions and Academia – Global Compact on Refugees
1 March – 26 March 2021
Live sessions of the Online Course will be held from 9.00 am to 11.00 am, Rome time. Please, click here to check your time zone.
The Course will be delivered in English.
To be released soon
The Course for Governmental Training Institutions and Academia (Global Compact on Refugees) focuses on the key elements of refugee protection, ranging from the legal framework to refugee participation and solutions. It covers the principles, objectives and programme of action set by the Global Compact on Refugees and at the same time allows participants to strengthen their teaching skills and capacity to develop training modules through sessions devoted to instructional design and learning methodologies (e.g. needs assessments, and identification of approaches, objectives, methodologies, and evaluations).
In particular, the Course is structured around two types of sessions:
- Content-related sessions on key areas of the Global Compact on Refugees, each of them using a different teaching methodology (lecture, presentation, case study, group work, role play, e-learning, pre-recorded video, etc.);
- Methodological sessions, dedicated to the analysis of the approaches and techniques used in the content-related classes.
The Course is developed primarily to benefit officials working for governmental training institutions, particularly those involved in the design, development and delivery of training, as well as academics, members of Refugee Law courses, modules and clinics at their respective universities at the undergraduate or post-graduate level.
It is important for participants to have a very good knowledge of the language of the Course, in order to be able to consult background materials, attend lessons, and participate in group works and discussions (no simultaneous translation is available).
- Enhance the capacity of national governmental training institutions and universities to embed the principles and areas in need of support of the Global Compact on Refugees in their training programmes and modules.
- Empower national governmental training officials and academics to:
- Raise awareness on and advocate for the protection of refugees;
- Enhance and develop sound and sustainable training programmes, in methodology and structure;
- Ensure that their training programmes incorporate content conforming with the Global Compact on Refugees;
- Harmonize the training approach and areas of focus among national governmental training institutions;
- Exchange of best practices and peer-to-peer support to enhance existing programme development and implementation mechanisms at the local level.
- Identify areas of cooperation between institutions represented at the Course.
Structure and Methodology
The Online Course is structured into four modules, with the objective to provide an in-depth analysis of the subject of the training.
Modules are composed by live sessions and self-paced sessions.
- Live sessions are pre-scheduled and usually last between 90 and 120 minutes. These are delivered via Zoom for Education;
- Self-paced sessions are completed at participants’ own pace, and must be undertaken before the beginning of each following class. These usually consist in pre-recorded videos and/or selected reference materials.
The Course strikes a balance between theory and practice and is delivered through a participatory and creative teaching methodology, aimed at facilitating the learning process and implementing the knowledge gained throughout the training. Sessions include lectures, presentations, case studies, group work, audio-visual support, and other activities, which respond to the various learning styles of a diversified audience.
Throughout the training, participants and expert facilitators are able to share best practices and experiences together with examples of developing learning curricula on topics related to the Global Compact on Refugees.
Application deadline, Scholarships opportunities and Official Certificate
Candidates are invited to register to the Course by 25 January 2021.
A limited number of scholarships is available for the Online Course and cannot therefore be guaranteed purely by application. Scholarships will depend upon funds available to the Institute thanks to the kind contribution of our donors. To apply for a scholarship, you must detail so in the dedicated field in the Registration Form.
Please note that the official Certificate of completion will be awarded only to who attends the Course in full, including participation in live and self-paced sessions, and completion of assignments.
Participation quota amounts to € 750. It must be remitted before the start of the Course by bank transfer. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted on the website of the Institute.
Queries on the Course registration and administrative questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.