The Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) calls for a stronger, fairer response to large refugee movements and protracted situations. It highlights the need of a comprehensive refugee response framework, guided by the principles of international cooperation and responsibility sharing, where States and other relevant actors become partners towards the achievement of durable solutions for refugees.
The International Institute of Humanitarian Law, as a reputable institution dedicated to the training of government officials on refugee issues since 1982, wishes to share the agenda and contribute to the collective outcome of the GCR.
Thanks to the support of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the Institute is launching the 100th International Refugee Law Course – Special Edition, with a focus on the GCR.
The 100th Course is tailored and dedicated to representatives of national governmental training institutions and academics from the Global South.
This special edition of the 100th Course will only accept 25 participants. We apologise in advance if we cannot accept you for this year’s Course.
- Enhance the capacity of national governmental training institutions to embed the principles and areas in need of support of the GCR in their training programmes and modules;
- Empower national governmental training officials and academics to:
– Raise awareness on and advocate for the protection of refugees;
– Enhance and develop sound and sustainable training programmes, in methodology and topics, in line with the GCR;
– Ensure that their training programmes incorporate content conforming with the GCR;
– Harmonize the training approach and areas of focus among national governmental training institutions.
- Exchange of best practices and peer-to-peer support to enhance existing programme development and implementation mechanisms at the local level;
- Identify areas of cooperation between national governmental training institutions at the regional level.
Curricula and methodology
The curricula focuses on the key elements of refugee protection, ranging from the legal framework to refugee participation and solutions. It covers the principles, objectives and programme of action set by the GCR and allows participants to strengthen their teaching skills and capacity to develop training modules through sessions devoted to instructional design and learning methodologies (e.g. needs assessments, and identification of approaches, objectives, methodologies, and evaluations).
The Course strikes a balance between theory and practice and is delivered through a participatory and creative teaching methodology. Participants will be engaged in case studies, role plays, group discussions and simulations and will interact with practitioners and experts in the field of international protection.
The 100th Course special edition is fully funded by UNHCR.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
6 September 2019
Participation quota amounts to € 900. It must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transfer or, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute.
Please consult the FAQs for further information.
For more information on the 100th Course please contact Ms. Melissa Amisano – Coordinator at the International Refugee Law and Migration Law Department at: email@example.com.
Queries on the course registration and administrative questions should be directed to Ms Patricia Panizzi at: firstname.lastname@example.org.