- Alberto Biancheri, Mayor of Sanremo
- Fausto Pocar, President of the IIHL
- Peter Maurer, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross
- Elisabetta Belloni, Secretary-General of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Co-operation
- Miguel de Serpa Soares, Legal Counsel and Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs, United Nations; Member, IIHL
Session 1. The scope of application of the additional protocols: a settled problem?
- Defining armed conflicts under the Additional Protocols: is there a need for further clarification?
- When do international armed conflicts end?
- Additional Protocol II and threshold of application
Session 2. Conduct of hostilities
- Focus on the principle of distinction Focus on the principle of distinction
- A closer look at the prohibition of indiscriminate attacks and disproportionate attacks
- Considering the principle of precautions
Session 3. Fundamental guarantees and the treatment of persons deprived of their liberty
- Content and customary nature of Article 75 of Additional Protocol I
- How are persons deprived of their liberty in relation to non-international armed conflicts protected under Additional Protocol II?
- Detention in relation to armed conflicts: what is the relationship between international humanitarian law and international human rights law?
Session 4. Sexual and gender-based violence in armed conflict
- How do the Additional Protocols address the issue of sexual and gender-based violence in armed conflicts?
- Ntaganda: Re-Alignment of a Paradigm
Patricia Sellers Viseur
- Gender-based violence: the case of peacekeeping
Session 5. The protection of medical personnel, facilities and transports
- Advances in the protection of medical personnel, facilities and transports under the Additional Protocols and interpretative challenges on the fundamental obligations to respect and protect
- The protection of medical personnel under the Additional Protocols: the notion of “acts harmful to the enemy” and debates on incidental harm to military medical personnel
- What are the rules on the protection of medical ethics and the respect of medical activities? How to ensure their implementation?
Juan Carlos Moreno
Session 6. Humanitarian access
- Shedding light on the rules on humanitarian access
- What are the rights and obligations of parties to an armed conflict and of concerned third states? Relief schemes and the delivery of humanitarian relief
- Humanitarian negotiations for access to persons in need of assistance: which role for gender diversity?