1st Online Course on Advocacy for Protection
24 May – 4 June 2021
Live sessions of the Online Course will be held from 1.00 pm to 3.00 pm, Rome time. Please, click here to check your time zone.
The Course will be delivered in English.
The recently developed Course on Advocacy for Protection presents the key elements for supporting the transformation of policies, services and public perceptions of refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs), stateless people and migrants. Based on the main protection principles deriving from International Refugee Law, Human Rights Law and Humanitarian Law, the Course assesses challenges and opportunities related to given protection situations and identifies relevant stakeholders towards which advocacy interventions can be addressed. To make sure that advocacy efforts are effective and sustainable, sessions focus on cross-cutting issues, such as awareness raising, media and journalism.
- Increase participants’ knowledge on the international legal framework for the protection or refugees IDPs, stateless people and migrants.
- Strengthen participants’ ability to identify gaps in policies, perceptions and planning related to specific protection situations.
- Empower participants to identify the relevant stakeholders influencing decision-making processes and perceptions at local, national, regional and international levels.
- Develop participants’ knowledge and skills on how to conduct efficient advocacy interventions drawing on the above mentioned gaps and identified stakeholders.
Application deadline, Scholarships opportunities and Official Certificate
Candidates are invited to register to the Course by 26 April 2021.
A limited number of scholarships is available for the Online Course and cannot therefore be guaranteed purely by application. Scholarships will depend upon funds available to the Institute thanks to the kind contribution of our donors. To apply for a scholarship, you must detail so in the dedicated field in the Registration Form.
Please note that the official Certificate of completion will be awarded only to those who attends the Course in full, including participation in live and self-paced sessions, and completion of assignments.
The Course is guided by a bottom-up approach, and therefore targets members of non-governmental and civil society organizations, including grass roots and field-based entities, academics and journalists. The training also addresses other relevant stakeholders in a position to conduct advocacy interventions with their governments and publics at large, for enhanced protection and perception of persons in need of protection.
It is important for participants to have a very good knowledge of the language of the Course, in order to be able to consult background materials, attend lessons, and participate in group works and discussions (no simultaneous translation is available).
Structure and Methodology
The Online Course is structured into live and self-paced sessions, with the objective to provide an in-depth analysis of the subject of the training, including cross-cutting issues.
- Live sessions are pre-scheduled and usually last between 90 and 120 minutes. These are delivered via Zoom for Education;
- Self-paced sessions are completed at participants’ own pace, and must be undertaken before the beginning of each following class. These usually consist in pre-recorded videos and/or selected reference materials.
The Course strikes a balance between theory and practice and is delivered through a participatory and creative teaching methodology, aimed at facilitating the learning process and implementing the knowledge gained throughout the training. Sessions include lectures, presentations, case studies, group work, audio-visual support, and other activities, which respond to the various learning styles of a diversified audience.
Speakers delivering the sessions consist of United Nations Officials and other experts on international protection and advocacy from around the world.
Participation quota amounts to € 750. It must be remitted before the start of the Course by bank transfer. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted on the website of the Institute.
Queries on the Course registration and administrative questions should be directed to email@example.com.