1st Online Specialized Course: Protection of Refugees in Mixed Movements
Live Sessions of the Course will be held from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Rome time. Please, click here to check your time zone.
The Course will be delivered in English.
This Course, aimed at strengthening States and humanitarian organizations’ capacity to engage in responses to mixed movements of refugees and migrants, will provide government officials and other protection providers with key tools to respond to mixed movements by addressing all relevant legal frameworks and related definitions and exploring best practices, including in the field of protection at sea. Participants will gain key knowledge and skills in the identification of protection needs while addressing the importance of multi-stakeholder cooperation. Specific focus will be dedicated to the critical legal distinction between refugees and migrants to ensure the integrity of the refugee protection regime while supporting and expanding the protection space for migrants within states’ migration management policies and programs.
- Promote law, principles and policies related to the international protection of refugees.
- Raise awareness on the human rights issues faced by persons on the move and the need for the adoption of tailored protection approaches based on specific protection needs.
- Enhance the skills of participants in developing and applying policies and standards in conformity with International Law.
- Forster a multistakeholder and whole of society approach aimed at achieving the greater level of protection possible in conformity with international standards.
- Encourage a positive attitude among participants towards the protection of refugees and other uprooted people.
Application deadline, Scholarships opportunities and Official Certificate
Candidates are invited to register to the Course by 5 July 2023.
A limited number of scholarships is available for the Online Course and cannot therefore be guaranteed purely by application. Scholarships will depend upon funds available to the Institute thanks to the kind contribution of our donors. To apply for a scholarship, you must detail so in the dedicated field in the Registration Form.
Please note that the official Certificate of completion will be awarded only to those who attend the Course in full, including participation in live and self-paced sessions, and completion of assignments.
The course is developed to primarily benefit Government officials, members of non-governmental organizations, and personnel of international organizations who wish to gain specialized expertise and skills for the protection of refugees within mixed movements.
Members of the civil society and the academia, who could positively influence the safeguard of refugees’ rights and advocate for the protection of uprooted and stateless persons, are also welcomed as participants
Structure and Methodology
The Online Course is structured into four content-related modules, with the objective to provide an in-depth analysis of the subject of the training, including cross-cutting issues.
Modules are composed of live sessions and self-paced sessions.
- Live sessions are pre-scheduled and usually last 120 minutes. These are delivered via Zoom for Education;
- Self-paced sessions are completed at participants’ own pace and must be undertaken before the beginning of each following class. These usually consist in pre-recorded videos, short questionnaires or assignments, and/or selected reference materials.
The Course strikes a balance between theory and practice and is delivered through a participatory and creative teaching methodology, aimed at facilitating the learning process and implementing the knowledge gained throughout the training. Sessions include lectures, presentations, case studies, group work, audio-visual support, and other activities, which respond to the various learning styles of a diversified audience.
Throughout the training, participants and expert facilitators can share best practices and experiences regarding the main topics and issues of the Course.
Speakers delivering the sessions consist of international experts on refugee protection from around the world.
Participation quota amounts to € 750. It must be remitted before the start of the Course by bank transfer. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted on the website of the Institute.
Queries on the Course registration and administrative questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.