18th INTERNATIONAL MIGRATION LAW COURSE
Sanremo, 26-30 October 2020
The five-day Course on International Migration Law is designed for government officials, academia, representatives of international and non-governmental organizations, as well as members of civil society. It will focus on the international legal framework governing migration, including the rights and responsibilities of States and migrants. The key objective of this Course is to equip government officials and those working in the migration field with an understanding of the international standards that are relevant for good governance of migration. Topics to be covered during the Course include:
- Migration key concepts and introduction to the rights-based approach
- Overview of the applicable legal framework related to migration: focus on human rights
- Forced migration (refugees)
- Principles surrounding entry and reception conditions
- Identification and referral mechanisms
- Trafficking and smuggling of persons
- Environment and mobility
- Principle of non-discrimination: economic, social and cultural rights of migrants
- Detention and alternatives to detention
- Law of the Sea and migration
- Principles surrounding exit: expulsion, collective expulsion, and right to leave
- Global Compact on Migration and partnerships
The Course will be conducted in English and open to a maximum of 50 participants.
During the five-day Course in Sanremo, Italy, participants have a unique opportunity to interact not only with each other, but also with recognised experts who facilitate the various thematic sessions of the programme. Different participatory methodologies (e.g. simulations, role-play, case studies and mapping exercises) are used in order to maximize learning. A certificate of attendance will be issued upon successful completion of the Course.
Participation quota amounts to € 900. It must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transfer or, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute.
Please consult the FAQs for further information.
Queries on the course registration and administrative questions should be directed to Ms Patricia Panizzi at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration Form
- General information