Since 1976, the Institute, in collaboration with the ICRC, governments and other relevant organizations, has designed and offered specific training programmes open to military and civilians, with the aim of fostering the development of knowledge of international humanitarian law. These programmes focus on delivering practical and experience-based instruction, supported by exercises and case studies thus reinforcing the participant’s understanding. The programmes also ensure a unique environment offering a diverse, challenging and stimulating international perspective where participants from all over the world can exchange views.
- 180th International Military Course on LOAC (English)
- 181st International Military Course on LOAC (English, Arabic)
- 45th Advanced Course on IHL (English)
- 46ème Cours Avancé sur le DIH (French)
- Course on Peace Support Operations (PSO)
- Detention and Captured Persons (CPERS) Course
- 55th Course for Directors and Instructors of Training Programmes in IHL (English)
- 1st Legal Delivery of Effects Online Course (29 March - 14 May)
- 2nd Law at the Operational Level Online Course (10 May - 18 June)
- 2nd IHL in Depth Online Course (24 May - 2 July)
- 2nd Legal Delivery of Effects Online Course (23 August - 4 October)
- 3rd IHL in Depth Online Course (7 September - 19 October)
- 3rd Law at the Operational Level Online Course (11 October - 24 November)
Online courses on IHL
In view of the global emergence of COVID-19, the Institute has developed an online platform for the delivery of distance training courses. This new platform will undoubtedly be a valuable complement to the traditional face-to-face courses offered by IIHL.
Foundation courses on LOAC/IHL
The general aim of these category of courses is to provide military officers, including operators and military lawyers, as well as civilians, with the opportunity to learn how to apply the principles and rules of international humanitarian law (IHL) and the Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC).
Advanced courses on IHL
These intensive courses are specifically designed for experienced military/civilian legal advisers, military officers and those from Government or International Organisations with an in depth knowledge of IHL/LOAC.
Specialised courses on IHL
Our specialised courses are conceived to get in-depth in the analysis of IHL. These courses deal with IHL for training directors, as well as on its application to peace support operations, detention, targeting, rules of engagement and naval operations.
Competition for military academies
The Academies’ Competition provides teams of 3 Officer Cadets from the top military academies from around the world with an early appreciation of the critical importance of humanitarian law in multi-national military operations.
Workshops on IHL
The Emerging Issues Workshop on IHL is designed to support those who face the most difficult of legal challenges in an informed, multi-national and impartial environment.