Course on Peace Support Operations (PSO)
Sanremo, 20 – 24 May 2024
Please be aware that no scholarships are available for this course.
For this reason, no requests of this kind will be considered.
The aim of this course is to prepare civilian and military staff augmentees for Peace Support Operations (PSOs) by examining the wide ranging legal issues underpinning PSO mandates and mission design which shape and govern the conduct of operations of the deployed force.
The key overarching teaching objectives of the course are to understand:
- The range and nature of PSOs and their historical development.
- The status, privileges and immunities of Peace Keeping Forces under International and host nation law.
- Interpret and implement cease fire and peace agreements.
- The legal boundaries of UN Security Council authorizations approving PSOs.
- The interrelationship between mission objectives and basing agreements (e.g. MOU, MTA, SOFA).
- The role in PSOs of the UN, of regional organizations such as the AU, of regional security forces such as the ASF, and other organizations and troop contributing nations.
- The interrelationship of IHL and IHRL, including the use of force, in PSOs.
- The dynamics of new and emergent issues in PSOs.
- The nature of criminal responsibility in PSOs.
The aim and objectives of the course are delivered in five modules of one day. The course is designed for the following personnel: civilian and military staff augmentees to PSOs, planning staffs and their advisors; personnel who work in or with ministries of defence, foreign affairs, interior, or law enforcement; personnel working in international organisations, non-governmental organisations etc and/or missions of the UN and any of the regional organisations.
IIHL teaching staff and facilitators are drawn from experienced senior military officers, leading academics, practicing lawyers and senior government officials practising in the field together with experts from IOs and NGOs.
Participation quota amounts to €1.000. It must be remitted before the start of the course by bank transfer or, at the latest, upon arrival in cash or Euro currency cheque. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted either on the website or at the Institute.
Please consult the FAQs for further information.
Queries on the course registration and administrative questions should be directed to Ms Patrizia Di Pietro at: firstname.lastname@example.org