The project “systemic UPscaling of Peace Education pRactices – UPPER”, aims at bringing the values of peace, intercultural dialogue and civic participation to the core of educational policies and school practices with the objective of producing significant improvements in learning life skills for youngsters living in Europe.
The project, which falls within the framework of the ERASMUS+ Programme of the European Union, has been developed by a partnership coordinated by the Fondation des Régions Européennes pour la Recherche, l’Éducation et la Formation (FREREF) which includes the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (UNIMORE), the Ministry of Education and Employment of Malta (MEDE), the European School Heads Association (ESHA) and the International Institute of Humanitarian Law (IIHL).
The project proposes an analytical review of 50 good practices worldwide, suggesting a comparative approach for public policies and good practices at school level and promotes the establishment of a permanent international laboratory in Sanremo (Italy) to enhance research, policy collaboration and cross-country uptake and mainstreaming of good practice elements. The main objectives of UPPER are:
- the development, the analysis and the evaluation of scaling up the potential of identified “good practices”;
- the organization of data and narratives based on the good practicesselected;
- the piloting and evaluation of different sets of combined good practice elements in twenty schools;
- the proposal of self-assessment and benchmarking tools freely accessible to all interested schools;
- the mobilization of education stakeholders and the digital media world in a converging effort to innovate education towards a “dialogue society for peace”;
- the promotion of synergies with similar initiatives;
- the establishment of a permanent laboratory on transferability of good practices in Sanremo (Italy).
As part of the activities of the project an international workshop on the issue “Education inspiring peace, from fragments and silos to a systemic approach” will be organised in Sanremo by the Institute, under the auspices of the Municipality of Sanremo in collaboration with the other partners, and to be held on 23 November 2018.
The initiative aims to gather together policy makers at different institutional levels, schools, local communities, representatives from civil society and cultural institutions committed to enhancing the positive role of education in creating conditions for peace and respect for cultural differences.
The workshop will present a synopsis of the good practices identified by the UPPER partners and will introduce the concept of “international collaborative benchmarking”. It will also propose the activity plan of the “Peace Education Laboratory” to be established in Sanremo as a project spin-off, and will discuss strategies for capacity building and international networking to maximize the impact of existing initiatives.
Contact person: Dr. Edoardo Gimigliano (firstname.lastname@example.org). Tel: +39 0184 541848 (ext 217).
Working language will be English.